The Department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2003 with an intake of 30 students with an ambition to create skilled personnel required by the future biotechnology industries. The department has grown well with its quality of excellence and accredited by NBA in 2009 and reaccredited in 2017. The Department has obtained approval from AICTE for M. Tech in Biotechnology in the year 2014.
M.Tech. in Biotechnology is a 2 year post graduate program applied in the field of modern medical practice. It is study of living organisms and bioprocesses in engineering, medicine and technology required for developing bio-products.
The Department received the status of “Centre for Research” from Anna University in the year 2016 to pursue research in the field of Biotechnology. At present, the department has an annual intake of 120 Undergraduate admissions and 18 Postgraduate admissions. The department has obtained institutional membership in the Biotech Research Society of India (up to 2025).
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
- The Department has a vision to impart quality education in the field of Biotechnology on par with international standards
- To provide quality education for the young students and to expand their knowledge and understanding on the cutting edge technology of scientific and engineering principles underlying the field of Biotechnology.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
- The department is committed to train students to utilize their knowledge and expertise for the rapidly growing Biotechnology industry and to achieve a good working co-operation with experts from other related fields, also encouraging and preparing them for research activities in Biotechnology.
- To develop the intellectual strength of students and guiding them towards technical advancement
- To provide ethical and value based education in the field of Biotechnology